Morcos Smeika Pasha founded the Coptic Museum in 1910 AD to fulfill the
needs of displaying monuments referred to that period in order to easily
trace the history of Christianity in Egypt.
The Museum was erected over a land that was willingly offered by the
Christian Church under the presidency of Pope Kerolos V who died in 1927 AD
and his successor Abba Yuanis XIXth in 1929 AD.
The Museum is located in an area of great historical importance within the
precinct of the Babylon Fort, one of the remaining monuments referred to
the Roman period. Lying over 8000 square meters, buildings and garden
included, the Museum has been renovated with the two annexes the ancient
and modern aisles and opened for visits in 1984 AD.
The objects displayed rise up to 16000 pieces approximately, arranged as
possible in chronological order in 12 different sections. The display had
been set according to scientific measures.
The Coptic Museum, actually one of the Ministry of Culture dependencies,
was run by the Coptic Patriarcate till 1931 AD. The average number of
visitors range daily from 200 to 250 visitors of different nationalities.